Thursday, January 22, 2009

Knitting fears

What are you afraid of? Is there a project you've been wanting to tackle but afraid to try? A new technique?

I would love to make something with a fancy design. Some lacy knee high socks or shawl. I am afraid to try for a couple of reasons. I don't get enough quiet time to concentrate on a "real" pattern. My yarn over socks are about as fancy as I've ever gotten. I have it memorized and it's simple. But a pattern that requires me to follow it to a T and I have to have a piece of paper to look at, well, with 3 little ones who write on and rip up everything it's difficult to do. Not to mention how many times in a day I get up to do something. No sooner than I get into a project someone needs a drink or their butt wiped. Now, if the buttwipee is the 4 y/o and the 7 y/o is home for a buck she'll do it for me. :)So, my fear is complicated patterns. I know my day will come when the youngest will start school so for now I'm happy to make hats, socks, etc. But I do look forward to doing a real grown up project.

My other fear is I'll buy semi expensive yarn to make a semi complicated object and screw it up. Like I have two projects I really should frog (fisherman's socks are one of the projects) but I've put so many hours into it that the thought of frogging it is actually quite upsetting!

FYI, comments are moderated so may take awhile to appear.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Hmmm, first, don't fear frogging. It can be sad a first, but once it's done it feels like a weight has been lifted. And as for "fancy knitting", you can do it!!! You will find it's easier than you think it will be. Once you have a little quite time, you'll be on your way.

I fear color-work. But I've decided I'm going to try it. As soon as I get my WIPs cleared up, I'm going to give stranded mittens a whirl!! :)

SusieGoodness said...

i also am scared of color work! Frogging is fun.. it's like cleaning the house and purging all the clutter!