Saturday, January 31, 2009

What a blah day turned into a yoga review

Not much to report on the knitting front. I did get some pics uploaded of my yarn over cable socks so will get them on here.

I've not been doing a lot of knitting lately because in my hands free, sit down time I've been learning about yoga. I've wanted to do yoga for years but never made the time. Now that I have 3 children I have even less time for me and I've also been gaining weight since birth of my last child (Nov 07). To combat both issues I decided to do something about it. I tried walking last summer but my hip has been bad since Lu was born and would pop out almost immediately and the pain would last for weeks. I wouldn't be able to bend over or pick Lucy help and with a toddler both things are necessary. When I found out there was a yoga class at the local Y I started looking more into it and wouldn't ya know they have free babysitting! I talked it over with my MIL2 and we decided we would do yoga together.

That was in October. I now have my SIL come over on Tues and Thurs evenings to watch the munchkins while MIL2 and I bend ourselves into pretzels. Or attempt to. I noticed after a dozen classes or so that my hip wasn't bothering me as much. At the beginning of January, which is when my SIL started coming over, I decided to get to the Y early and see if I could walk the track before class. I can! The yoga had already paid off enough that it had strengthened my hip/pelvic enough to walk briskly for 20 or 30 minutes.

It's almost February and I've taken maybe 20 classes so far. I weighed myself a couple of days ago and I've lost the ten lbs I'd put on during 2008. WOOHOO! I didn't realize I had mainly because my clothes still fit the same. So, I'm thinking the weight loss is mainly in my boobs. :) They're breastfeeding mama boobs but the babe is now a toddler and eating solids 3x's a day so they've deflated back down to normal. I'm really excited, nonetheless.

I'm attempting to practice at home. I did manage to get up before the kids a couple of times but I then loaned my new dvd, Biggest Loser Weight Loss Yoga, to my instructor. I was hoping I'd get it back fairly quickly. She hasn't had a chance to watch it so I ordered for MIL2 and I "Yoga for Inflexible People". I received it and I did listen to a bit of it but the Lu hasn't really let me attempt to practice.

Biggest Loser Weight Loss Yoga review: I love it! As menus to customize your workout and routine. Has warm up, beginners, intermediate and HARD! I've done the beginners and intermediate. I enjoyed it immensely. I worked up a nice sweat. I felt invigorated afterwards and ready to take on the day. The participants are from the show, Biggest Loser, therefore not some buff, intimidatingly sexy muscleheads but normal people!

Yoga for Inflexible People review: Even though I haven't had much chance to do anything with it I did watch a few of the poses. There is a customizable menu on this one too. This is a very step by step, detailed instructional video for getting the poses correct. It also focuses on using props to attain the proper alignment. It's definitely Hatha and Iyengar style yoga. Great to really learn the proper way to move into, maintain and move out of postures.

I bought the Biggest Loser at Kmart for ten bucks and Inflexible People at Amazon for about 12$ shipped.

I am seriously considering buying Wii Fit but am not sure I'd get to do it very often. As soon as my yoga mat comes out so do the munchkins. They fight over it like crazy.

Ah well I see MIL2 walking up my yard. Time to go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad you are getting into yoga! And thanks for the reviews of those DVDs - it is so hard to know which ones are good or not!

I also like: Yoga For Weight Loss by Susan Deason (sp?) and anything by Lilias Folan - for beginners.

Namaste.

Julie
coolmoonyogaknits